June 14, 2017
Advocating for Effective Medical Treatment
Obesity is a complex disease. Individuals affected by obesity often experience a wide variety of other health conditions (co-morbidities), which can include diabetes, heart disease, cancer, sleep apnea and many more. Educated advocacy efforts are necessary to impact public perception of obesity and influence decision makers.
Dr. Moore and the team at Moore Metabolics work every day to eliminate bias and make sure that obesity is treated as a disease, allowing for increased access to safe and effective medical treatment.
Some of Dr. Moore’s latest activities include:
- Dr. Moore joined Senator David Heitmeier on the Louisiana Senate floor to advocate for SB173, a bill that, if passed, would mandate insurance coverage of morbid obesity treatment.
- Participating as an active researcher in the field of bariatric medicine, currently working on the Clinical Outcomes Study for Morbid Obesity Subjects (COSMOS) Project, with a goal of refining treatment approaches for obesity in underserved populations.
- Reopening the bariatric surgery program at Louisiana State University, after it was closed for seven years following Hurricane Katrina.
- Serving as a Board member-at-large for the “Louisiana chapter” of the American Society of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
- Holding the Louisiana State Medical Society seat on the Louisiana Health Care Commission, a group that advises the Department of Insurance.
- Serving on several national committees for the ASMBS, specifically the Access to Care, Insurance, and Graduate Medical Education committees.
- Presenting at a national ASMBS conference, speaking about laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Remaining professionally connected as a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and member of the ASMBS, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, Obesity Action Coalition, Louisiana State Medical Society, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Association of Women Surgeons, Louisiana chapter of ASMBS and the Spencer Society.
- Participating as a guest on Dr. Marina Kurian’s Doctor Radio segments regarding weight loss surgery on Sirius Radio Channel 81.
Contact Moore Metabolics
If you would like to learn more about our weight loss surgery program, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Moore, please contact Moore Metabolics today.